Monday, April 17, 2006

My new gun lock is a POS


I just bought a new beretta neos .22cal. I love the feel of this gun and I cannot wait until this weekend to shoot it.

The reason I am writing this is two fold.
First, I bought the gun at Bass Pro Shops. They were very helpful and knowledgeable. Of course it helps when you go in knowing exactly what you want and have already done all the research. That being said, as far as their knowledge went they were willing to give. But, they keep all of their guns secured with these pitiful plastic trigger locks. Very plastic and very generic. One size fits all approach. I showed the person behind the counter how ineffective this type of device was and he agreed that they were a waste but company policy prevailed. After you buy a gun there you have to carry it to customer service to get the lock removed. Let me repeat what I just said, I had to ask a child behind the counter at customer service to remove the worthless triggerlock from the gun I had legally purchased almost twenty minutes before. He did his job well, he asked for my ID and for the receipt, which I showed him no problem. But then it happened, he said to one of the other children behind the counter that he would never have a pistol in his house. He said they were of no use for "huntin'" so he would have no part of them. Since he was very obviously under 21 I did not bother to ask him if he thought a carry piece for personal protection was useful. I left the store shaking my head.

Second. I got home and proceeded to remove all the extra crap that comes in most new gun boxes and came across the "State of California Certified gun lock". This device at first glance looks pretty good. A nice color(I am a cowboys fan) and seemingly well constructed. As soon as I tried to unlock it however, I was shocked to find that it barely functioned and in fact would hardly lock at all. It seems that someone tried to use a bike type locking mechanism and fit into a square lock body. The key looks like it comes in a crackerjack box and after two attempts I was able to unlock it using only a jumbo paper clip and a small flat screwdriver. I am not sure what you have to go through to be "certified" in the state of california but let me assure you this thing is a POS. I think that anyone using this device is getting a false sense of security and I also will bet that at some point this will come back to haunt the manufacturer of these pitiful devices. This type of device is nanny state run wild. It gives the impression of security while not actually securing anything. Crappy stuff like this let folks abdicate their responsibility to keep their firearms safe. I am willing to bet that since gunlocks have been shipped with new guns that no less accidental deaths have occurred. I cannot put my hands on these figures right now. I get conflicting figures. I suppose it matters how you define accident.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how much could a decent gun lock cost? By decent, I mean functional, safe but not extravagant. I know that they want a one lock fits all approach. Still, I can't imagine that it would cost that much more to ship one that works. If you ship a gun lock that doesn't work with the gun and a child kills himself (or a friend) you would think that there would be liability galore.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have created a catch 22. You can't have a one lock fits all and have it be functional. There are simply too many different types of guns. A breach lock is about the best way to secure one in my opinion, which is what I was supposedly supplied with. A difficult proposition at best.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home